While you might recognize Mary Katherine of Open Book Farm as the friendly farmer with a beautifully run pork, poultry, and produce farm, you might not know that she also wears the hat of a phenomenal chef. With a true reverence for seasonal ingredients and environmental stewardship, MK and Andrew bring to Petworth an abundance of meats, veggies, and, for this week especially, heirloom tomato varietals. Although meat cuts sometimes vary, you can always find savory sausages, bacon, pork loin, and chickens (ranging from whole roasters to thighs to liver), and by early fall, they will bring beef cuts as well!
What else can we expect at market this Saturday?
- 1 Sons will have half-sours back in action as long as supplies last. Thanks to a great cuke season, much of their summer pickles are locally sourced, to boot!
- Kristen and her Radix team are offering a sale on tomatoes and cucumbers: 10 lbs of bulk red tomatoes or heirloom seconds for $24, and 12 lbs of cucumbers for $20!
- Ahimsa will be sampling raw and organic almond milk with her delicious homemade granola.
- Pleitez will bring okra, sweet corn, and all sorts of peppers alongside tomatillos, eggplant, garlic and encanting bouquets of brain celosia flowers.
- Open Book is coming with heirlooms galore, basil and radicchio alongside plenty of sausage and chicken cuts. Ask Mary Katherine for her favorite summer recipes!
- Kuhn Orchards is hosting a “Get Your Bib On!” photo contest- snap a selfie enjoying a Kuhn Orchards peach and wearing a peach bib. Submit photos by August 31st and the top three photos will receive gift certificates to Kuhn Orchards farmers markets!
In addition to a bevy of peach and plum varietals, Kuhn will have plenty of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries, as well as leeks, radishes, and heirloom tomatoes.