The Petworth Community Market is hiring a Deputy Market Manager for the remainder of the 2016 market season. Information and contact information below.
DEPUTY MARKET MANAGER
The Petworth Community Market (PCM) is seeking a creative, organized and energetic person qualified to assist the Board of Directors and the Market Manager to manage a weekly seasonal farmers market.
The PCM is a seasonal weekly market founded in 2010 and located on 9th Street between Georgia Avenue and Upshur Streets NW. PCM provides an opportunity for the sale, trade, and promotion of local produce, goods, and services with a focus on producers, artisans, and entrepreneurs in the greater Petworth area. The PCM is open from 9 AM to 1 PM every Saturday, May through November.
Job Description: The PCM is looking for a Deputy Market Manager to assist the Market Manager with a variety of tasks vital to the smooth and consistent operations of the market. Together the Market Manager and Deputy are responsible for overseeing the day-of operations of the market, the accompanying weekly accounting updates, and a variety of tasks related to ensuring the continuity of the PCM’s operations. Duties to be shared between the Market Manager and Deputy include:
- Manage the operation of the market on their designated Saturdays (the rotation between the Market Manager and Deputy is TBD). Tasks include:
- Retrieve PCM equipment from storage and setup market
- Close 9th Street to traffic and ensure all non-market oriented vehicles are removed before market
- Direct vendors to their designated spaces as they arrive and conduct vendor inspections to ensure compliance with PCM policies
- Manage market day credit card transactions and food assistance programs
- Administer patron counts
- Answer questions and provide information to patrons
- After closing, complete accounting tasks, such as recording transactions and payments owed to vendors, and managing EBT accounting in cooperation with the treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Write and disseminate a weekly electronic newsletter
- Represent the PCM at special events and fundraisers
- Liaise with vendors and potential vendors
- With the assistance and direction of the Board of Directors, assist in researching and recruiting new vendors and manage the vendor application process
- Serve as vendors’ primary contact to the PCM before and during the season
- Assist in recruiting and managing volunteers
- Assist in maintaining the PCMs website
- Assisting in PCM fundraising efforts
- Assisting in planning and executing special events on market day
- Assorted other administrative and management duties
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 hours per week, from date of hire through November (including attendance at year-long monthly Board Meetings). Not to exceed 350 hours total.
The successful market manager candidate will have
- A basic knowledge of and interest in farmers market operations
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational, and time management skills
- An interest in working with people – farmers, vendors, and community residents
- Physical ability to move and set up the market tents and related market equipment
Pay Rate: Hourly rate of $12.50
Application: To apply send a cover letter and resume to Lauren Anderson at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.